There was a really cool event on Facebook that is happening this month. November's 30 Days of Thanksgiving. The idea is that every day you post something that you are thankful for throughout the whole month of November. Great idea and i signed on. Problem is, i get really flighty and so have missed a lot of days. I actually think i only posted once and i will again once i get this blog done. So, what i figured i would do was write this blog with thirty things that i am thankful for in honor of all of those who have been diligent in posting their items of grace each day so far.
So, in no particular order, here are my thirty things that i am thankful for:
1. Best parents ever. Totally supportive even when they don't understand. Could not have asked for more.
2. All of the events and history of my life that has led me to this place i am in today. Life is pretty awesome. I get to perform, teach martial arts and own a Renaissance Faire. Truly blessed and lucky.
3. A freezing stream and waterfall in Oregon that gave me my true baptism.
4. Calvin Martin and Bruce Wilshire who gave me a basis for my philosophy on life.
5. Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto for the philosophy of Jeet Kune Do. This has given me my passion and purpose and many times, it has given me a job.
6. All of the students i have ever had who have taught me more than just about anyone else.
7. Cheryl, Elise, Bethany and Shelli for teaching me exactly what i needed to know about love at exactly the right time.
8. My Sister the Moon and my Brother Orion
9. The Appalachian Mountains
10. The beautiful Delaware River
11. The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. That place has given me the best times and people of my life. Think about it, i bet there are a lot of us on this Facebook event and reading this right now who, if you really think about it feel the same way. Truly magic.
12. Rick Tucci, Alex Wilkie, Master Martin, Craig Stanton, Ron Kosakowski, Mr. Kirkpatrick... my direct martial arts teachers who really transformed my life.
13. Jim Georgi and Mary Karl, my fellow TA's for Calvin Martin at Rutgers, i am really thankful i got to be a part of that team
14. New Jersey. That is right New Jersey. I love NJ and that is my home.
15. Ninja the cat. My Grandfather and teacher, wisest animal i have ever know for a long period of time and he taught me much in our walks in the darkness. He gave me many lessons on patience, enjoying every second and blade of grass and also on meditation.
16. Andy Pritikin. Thankful for the home he has given us for the NJ Ren Faire.
17. Liberty Lake Day Camp. Thankful to have been accepted into the family and to have a place to share my knowledge and skills with the next generation of young martial artists and actors of the world.
19. John Williams. Best sword fighting partner ever and always reminds me about what it is like to live a life of joy
20. The angel choir of the night, all the spring peepers, crickets and bull frogs that sing constant praise to the divine
21. The fact that i was able to know all of my grandparents and 5 of my great-grandparents
22. Ginny Bartholomew for giving me the inspiration to finish my book
23. Dana Andresen for being an awesome, albeit high maintenance BFF
24. Eileen Wisor, best friend of all time and long lasting as well
25. Seth and the Hilburn clan for accepting me into their family
26. Mike Brown and Rob Kiernan for years of friendship
27. Dungeons and Dragons. I know i am a geek, but this game really had a lot of influence and taught me a lot. Again, i know i am a geek.
28. Shelli Nock for reminding me what it means to be a super hero
29. The Adventurer's Guild and all of the adventurers we have met who have embraced what the Lords of Adventure is all about
30. Thankful for being born in the time and place that i was. You know, really i can't complain about anything and i am thankful for that too. Sometimes when people ask me how i am and i say i can't complain, the response is, "would not do you any good anyway." But that is not why i say it. I really have nothing to complain about. If i had my choice of any life that i could live, it would be this one. I am deeply deeply grateful for every single moment of this little life i have been given.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Be blessed and be thankful for what you have.